The beggar


Something that I saw today made my heart skip a beat and my blood boil at the same time. That moment I realized that I am indeed very lucky. Every one else who is reading this post is equally lucky. Not because I am talented writer (would love to be one in the future) but because all of you have access to internet and in some way can afford the same.

What is this sight that affected me so much? Thinking of it even now gives me chills down my spine. I was in a restaurant having my evening snack (S, I do have the 4th meal ;) ) that’s when I saw a man begging. I am very much against begging, especially if that person is physically fit. Mumbai as a city has a lot of beggars. 
Most of them demand alms as if it were their birth right and my bondage to oblige. Many a time’s people are harassed at signals by beggars. I too have been a victim of that. This is one characteristic of the city that disgusts me.

Coming back to our beggar of the day, he was in rags and very dirty. Of all the people nearby he kept asking money only from one lady in the sandwich shop opposite to the restaurant I was in. The shopkeeper asked him to leave. He was shooed like a dog. That sight made my heart sink.

There was a point in which the shop keeper poured cold water on the beggar asking him to leave. All that while he didn’t move an inch, he just stood there, holding his hands out asking that lady for money. She was just too taken aback to do anything.

Finally, with the bottle of cold water all over him the man still stood tall. His hands were stretched out and he kept looking at the woman. The definition of persistence it is him. The lady’s husband held out change to the man. He held it high so as not to touch him even by mistake.

The coin fell on the floor and the beggar picked it up with delight. I could see his face glow. How much would that coin be worth, 1 or 2 or 5 at the maximum 10? But that brought more joy to his face than when I heard that I got my first ever job.

That moment I realized that all, my life I had a stereotype in my head: “All beggars are bad!” May be they are not, may be it is the situation that forced them into that life.Sometimes I feel that we all give up too easy. May be because what we want doesn’t mean much to us. Consider the beggar to be yourself and the shopkeeper to be the person who can grant you what you have dreamt of. Some will leave when asked to. They give up even before the cold water bites their skin. Some others leave when they are threatened. A few would with stand the cold water upon them. Probably a hand full would stand tall and hold their hands out for something they want despite all odds. The one who persists gets blessed by God with all that one’s heart desires.

This day taught me three things:
·         Don’t stereotype people based on what they do.
·         Persist on your efforts; stand tall against all odds and what you want will be yours.
·         I am indeed very luck, may be I must thank God more often and appreciate it better.

Good night! J

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Transparent

Why I love Chennai