Why Blue?


I have often wondered why the sky is Blue. I knew later that it was due to scattering of light rays. The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air. However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.  But why Blue? That question never died. Of all possible 7 colors from the VIBGYOR, why Blue? There is a reason for every creation of God. And yes, I still do believe in God and that the force created all that we know. Some say, everything came from nothing. Then, that nothing is God. I am not pious as I used to be but I still do have my long and soulful conversations with my creator.

In one such conversation, I asked him what matters more “Go to the beach with family or sit back and write an article for a competition? And yeah why Blue?” He didn’t say a word. It is a question that He smartly shuns away from. After continuous pestering He did give in. “Small things make a difference when large once fleet away.” I couldn’t get it then. But later it all made sense. The wavelength of blue light is small and hence it is absorbed and scattered. The wavelengths of other colors like red are long and hence are not absorbed. He meant more I am sure. Oh yeah, I went to the beach that day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transparent

The beggar

Why I love Chennai