Driftwood Summer



There are books which I can connect to and other that I can breath. Well, Driftwood Summer belongs to the latter. It is a beautiful tale of how at times we try to run away from our mistakes to make them disappear, while all it needed was courage to accept the mistake to make it vanish. All of us have dark unsaid secrets and have done things in the past which haunt us till date. This book helped me understand that only way to overcome a heart ache or a mistake is to face it upfront.

I liked the way that the chapters were named after that two lead characters: Maisy and Riley. It brought in two perspectives of the same story. I have a younger sister and I know the relationship that exists between sisters. There is lots of love, also ego and pride. At times there happens to be battles too. Here the two sisters fall for the same guy Mack. He happened to be Riley's(First child) best friend who used to come to Driftwood over the summer. Maisy(Middle child) being miss beautiful stole Mack's heart. At least when they were young. Both Riley and Maisy made bad choices. Rileys choice gave her a son(Braydon) due to which she had to quit college. Maisy's mistake made her run away from home and start a new life in California as an Interior designer.

Then there's Adalee who is the last child. She is also given good deal of importance. She is smart(only in things she likes). She had a bad choice of boy friend(Chad). He happened to cheat on her and she learnt that life is not all party.

Ah! How can I forget Kitsy. One character I loved. The mother of the 3 sister. A very strong woman who wants to do everything and has an opinion on everything as well. She kind of reminded me of my own grandmother. I loved the pace of the book calm as life is not a page turning urgency.

Their lifes departed. But they came in together again to save the bookstore run by Riley. This book was more like real life fairy tale. Together save the bookstore and learn the truth about life. Riley finally admits to Mack her love for him. She confesses to all the name of Braydon's father. She rediscovers the courage that she had as a teenager.

As for Maisy she was done with stealing others men. She was always behind men who never were and will be hers. She learns that truth is the only way to erase the past agony. She gives up her crush on Mack as she knows that he always loves Riley. She came back home and found that she belonged there. She learned to love her life and got her best friend Lucy back.

Well as for Adalee she got to know that there is no use waiting for a guy who doesn't love you. Life is not always a party.Finally college education does not show how good or bad you are.

This book has so many other characters. I loved them all. They all helped me realize that its ok to mess up things as long as we learn to fix it up. Thanks Viji for lending this book and thanks Priya for the suggestion. There are some books in which I wont forget the characters, their stories and the way it touched my soul. Driftwood summer is in my heart in the list of books I love. Some times the most simplest books steal your heart. That is just what Driftwood Summer did to me.!

P.S. : I recommend that if anyone feels a little lost or have phantoms of past deeds or lacking sense of belonging please read this book.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transparent

The beggar

My faith