I cant count my money!


Money seems to be such an important thing in our life as a matter of fact it is.Day in and day out we handle money.We use it to buy things and get it when we sell.It rotates much faster than any planet around its access and revolves more gracefully that any other entity in phase of this earth.For the people who are taught what is 2+2 and table in mathematics at school all this might be very easy.But I have always wondered how it is for the less fortunate people.Let it be my local vegetable vendor or any other uneducated business man have always astonished me with their knowledge they are as fast as my calculator.I am proud of them.With no actual basic education they do this with practice.Iv heard that practice makes perfect well here is a perfect example.

However there is another side to this tale.What about those who didn't get the external exposure as well?I mean those petty house maids and house wife's.In a country like India men make the monetary rules of the home irrespective of how effective or ineffective he is at it.Hence many at times women are isolated form the concept of money.I've often pondered on this however tried to convince the woman in me by saying"Oh please! women are not so pathetic." Well I experienced it for the first time yesterday.

We have a maid to do the gardening in our home.She is indeed a very cheerful lady.Quiet lithe but always smiling.She generally comes for work with a friend of hers.Unfortunately her friends husband is in hospital and severely ill.So her friend took loan of 7000rs form one of her employers who is our neighbour. She was saying all this and then hesitantly came near my mother and said"If you don't mind can you count it for me?I cant count my money!"I was shocked so all that I was thinking for so many days was proved.The most pathetic fact is that all the notes were 500rs notes hence only 14 notes.She was unable to count that.How much more helpless can a person get?It seems that she was cheated 1000rs once by a lender who took advantage of her innocence.

Well at least now we know how pathetic the situation is so I think that we must do some thing to elevate it.Just teach your maid how to handle money and count it properly.She need not become a Aryabhatta but at least she must be able to count the meager wealth that she has.So lets all take this promise that we will help them out.This might take maximum an hour of your precious day but however it will be the best gift you can give to your maid.

Comments

  1. People who learns maths by counting moning is much better than people learning maths to count money :D.

    You second point is indian society is known for allowing women to take care of finance, take ur mom & my mom & even i've seen many house wives who have the say. Ur father or my father dosent even know the expenses incurred every month...

    Yep the story of the maid's friend is pathetic, but still unable to believe it. I cant help her to learn maths or counting money. But all i can do is pray god for better recovery of her hubby...

    Another nice post... Keep it up...

    Regards,
    Anand
    http://www.cogzidel.in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you anand.You are seeing the more elite society.Our parents are the educated and are the so called upper middle class in which our fathers role is to earn and mothers is to invest and spend.That sadly is not the story everywhere you need to look at life for others point of view as well try it it is fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Transparent

The beggar

Why I love Chennai