Oh Brother


Surya just stared at the display screen in Dubai airport.His flight was delayed by an hour.He mechanically stared at his Diesel watch.It showed 12 midnight.His flight inbound to Chennai was postponed from 1a.m. to 2a.m.Well he had nothing much to do other than to start reading his novel.He was a big fan of Robin Cook.Surya moved to gate 5 and found a calm place and sat down there with his book.

He was just in his second page when he heard"Excuse me sir! are you going to Chennai?"Surya is by nature a nice person.But not at fist acquaintance you can't even get a smile form his lips till the third meeting.His physique contributed to that mystique feel.He was almost the perfect example for the phrase tall dark and handsome.He was not a beauty contest winner but in some way did have all the charms required to make any girl go gaga.Surya just nodded as a reply to the man who asked the question.Ramu was the man who asked it to him.He was a married man.He was around 35 years of age.For past 15 years he has been working in the middle east.His job was not the type that any one would envy.It was tough.He had a small job in a power plant.He was a watchman.He had no one to talk to in that sub station.It was just him his dish T.V. phone and his dog.No job in the world can be as nerve wrecking as his.It was not big money but for him it was his only source of living.He used to go to India once every two years.Other that this his life was not some thing that you can talk about.Just think past two years in the middle of no where not a soul to talk to.He was very enthusiastic to start a conversation with Surya.But all he got were a pitiable excuse for a smile and a few nods and mumbling words.Ramu was not deterred anyway.He kept speaking but it didn't even go near Surya's ear.He was too much into his own thoughts.He had recently fought with his best friend.He was not a very extrinsic person.Not the center of attraction in a gang.To tell the fact he was never a part of a gang.He was more to himself.His fight with his friend had taken a toll on him.

Ramu was the just opposite of Surya.He was Mr.Cheerful in his village he was a darling of everyone's heart.He was always the center of attraction.You can never say if it was his innocent smile or caring words or something else in him which gave you uttermost ease with him.Ramu couldn't but help noticing the frown on Surya's face."What happened pa?Why are you so disturbed? May be I can be of some help;"Surya was not interested to talk.He just smiled and said "Yes I am disturbed Mr...."
"Ramu"
"Sorry Mr.Ramu I am not good at names.I do have problems.Thank you for your concern.I am glad that at least some one is concerned."

Another love able trait of Ramu was that he knew when to shut up.And now was one such a time.He just touched Surya's hand and gave it a tight squeeze.Surya looked into Ramu's eyes.He found peace in it.

"All passengers for the flight inbound to Chennai in Gulf Air are requested to board in gate number 5"said a woman's voice followed by the same instruction in Arabic.Both Ramu and Surya got ready to board the plane.They stood in the queue and borded the plane.

I don't know if you all trust in fate,but I think that fate does exist.If not why should Surya's seat be next to Ramu?May be destiny is true.Well you must read on with me to know.

Ramu came to his seat to find Surya next to him.Both exchanged blank smiles.Ramu was not physically strong.He tried to lift his heavy bag to place it in the over head cabin.Surya was quick to help.Ramu was quick to give a heart felt THANK YOU.

The flight was ready to take off.The gates were closed.The take off instructions were given.Within half an hours time the flight way in the air thousands of meters above the surface of the earth.Ramu could never keep quiet.He started a conversation with Surya.They talked about their jobs.On hearing Ramu's job profile and the loneliness he suffered from Surya was shocked.

Ramu could see Surya's surprise in his face."Why are you so shocked?"

"How can you live all alone?"

"I am not alone."

"What?"

"Most people would go mad if they were alone.But not me"

"How Sir?You can,t please don't mistake me...you cant even keep shut for 5 minutes sir.This is not an offense just plain curiosity."

"Well I don't look at if so.When I am alone I don't think that I am alone.This does not mean that I am hallucinating or something.I am company for myself.I have all the time in the world to do all that I have ever wanted."

"Interesting please do tell me what you do."

"Well I always like being fit.So I do walking and yoga in the morning for nearly 2 hours.Then I take a shower cook and eat.Then I listen to music.I always wanted to play the guitar but no tutor will come so far.And I don't think that I can afford it anyways.So I bought an old guitar from a old friend with notations.I do self learning.Then Ill prepare things for lunch while seeing television.Then peaceful lunch with jade..my dog..no no my best friend"

"Wow interesting! do go on"

"Then a small nap.When I get up I call my home.I talk for 15 minutes with my wife and my 6 year old girl seetha.This is my favorite time of the day.After that some cleaning.The I take a stroll in the desert.At times I even get to see nomads.I have a love for language.I know Tamil English Malayalam and Arabic.Not that I am perfect at is.So I sit to learn the language through books movies.That drains most of my evening.Then at night I prepare dinner eat finally before sleep I read the Bagvath Geetha and say my prayers and then sleep."

"I am spell bound sir!"

"Oh really.I don't know what your problem in life is but never feel alone.You are your best company.Time is not what we have or get but what we make of.I enjoy what God has given me at this moment.Now I am blessed with a friend like you so I talk to my hears content.If you were not here I would have been trying to read that Arabic paper.Very challenging I must say."

"You are really great,I thought that I was all alone.I live in an apartment with my friends yet I felt like I lived in an island.But you lived in the middle of the desert but were having ball of a time."

"Mind matters the most brother...."

"True .....very true"

Their conversation was ended by the air hostess who brought food.They ate and Surya slept like a child due to Rahul's words......

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Transparent

The beggar

My faith