Diwali


Diwali is the festival of lights.It brings both inward and outward joy to one and all irrespective of their religion.The word Diwali might have meant only new clothes or good food and family get-together for me 1 years back.But my view on Diwali was changed by a old lady who was my co-passenger in a local train.

It was 10 in the morning.I was waiting in the Guindy train station in the ticket counter.I wanted to go to central station to get books.I got my ticket and went to the platform-1.I was rather impatient as I waited for the train.I kept glancing at my watch regularly.I was already late.My day did not have a great start.I got up only at 9 that too due to my mothers persistent effort to wake me up.Then after finishing my morning rituals the time was around 9.50.Then I asked my mother to drop me in the train station ten minutes form my home.I had promised to be in the station at ten.I am a person who likes to maintain my promise and punctuality.Well may be today was one of that exception.At long last the train came.I got into the lady's compartment.It was a bit crowed but I found a seat next to a old lady.I made myself comfortable.I was bored and hence was hunting for my headphones in my exceptionally large handbag or so my friends would say.The old lady seemed to be engrossed in the news paper.She suddenly turned her head away form the paper and said "What has today's world come to?"I didn't know if I must react or not.I did not want to give my thoughts and get the name"arrogant teenager."So I decided a simple smile will be the best solution.So smile I did.

Then she started a friendly chat.I was making conscious effort not to be my regular chirpy self instead be a mellow calm person(it took a lot of effort though).Then she asked me about my diwali preparations since it was only two weeks away.I mentioned about my shopping extravaganza.She just smiled and asked"Is diwali only for shopping , eating, entertainment, crackers and meeting family?"I without a second thought said"Yes that is what diwali means to me.In fact that is what all festivals mean to me."She gave that motherly 'I know more that you' look and said"Not so my child!According to folklore diwali is celebrated due to the death of Narakasura who was a demon.Actually the inner sense is that during ever diwali we must kill the demons in us.We as humans have a habit portraying our self to be more that what we are to the world and estimate ourself to be smaller that what we are int he heart.This is our external and internal demon.During this festival we must kill that demon and bring brightness in our life.A simple act of lighting a candle will not bring brightness in our soul instead we must analyse our stand and make our self a better person."I was dumbstruck.I didn't know what to say.My station came.I said"Diwali wishes!"She smiled and said"Let your demons die!"

I got down from the train.Even thought I was late I spend few minutes on the platform seeing the train go past me.This is the first time I was every told the meaning of a festival so aptly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transparent

The beggar

My faith